Updated: Jun 24
Paella is a firm favorite in our house and ticks all the boxes. This recipe is nutritious, including a variety of vegetables, it's fairly quick and easy to make and requires only one large frying pan. Perfect!
Paella with chicken and chorizo
Serves 4- 5 people
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
3 chicken breasts in small pieces (organic preferably)
1 chorizo sausage ring thinly sliced (nitrate free if available – try Ocado)
1 pepper (yellow, orange or red) chopped
2 handfuls of frozen peas
1 onion chopped
1 stick of celery chopped
1 large carrot chopped
1 tin of chickpeas
320g paella rice
1/2 pint of boiled water
1 cup of tomato passata
1 chicken stock cube
2 sachets of paellero (paella spice mix available from ebay and Amazon)
2 cloves of garlic chopped
2 tsp of smoked paprika
2 squeezes lemon juice to taste
Celery leaves and lemon quarters to garnish
1. Heat 2 tbsp of water in a large frying pan or stock pan on a low heat and add onions and carrots.
2. Mix ½ pint of boiled water with the stock cube and all of the spices and add to the pan with the garlic and tomato passata at the same time.
3. Raise the heat to medium, add the paella rice and stir to distribute the spice mix evenly.
4. When bubbling, reduce to a low heat for 15 minutes, leave the lid off and leave until the rice is almost tender. Keep an eye on the level of liquid in the pan during this time and top up with hot or boiled water as necessary to ensure the liquid surrounds the mixure (to speed up cooking and avoid burning).
5. Stir in the chicken, check the liquid level, cover with a lid and turn the heat up to medium to ensure the chicken cooks quickly. Cook for 5 minutes
6. Add frozen peas and mix in and cook for a further 5 minutes or until hot.
7. Check the chicken is cooked and serve.
8. Squeeze lemon juice over the paella to taste.