Updated: Jul 6, 2020
This recipe is inspired by Aine Carlin’s vegan recipe for Crusty No Knead Carrot and Courgette Bread and comes wearing many hats.
Firstly, it tastes amazing and is really crusty even though it’s gluten free (that's the most exciting part). Secondly, it contains a substantial amount of vegetables to bump up your intake for the day, not to mention your fibre too, thirdly it contains a good amount of phytoestrogens for peri and menopausal health, thanks to the linseeds and sunflower seeds. Oh and the linseeds contain omega 3 and 6 too.
200g gluten free white bread flour
100g gluten free brown bread flour
1 tsp baking powder
¾ tsp bicarbonateof soda
½ tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp of garlic granules
1 medium carrot grated
1 courgette grated
1 onion sliced thinly
175ml plant milk
2 tbsp of linseeds
1 tbsp of pumpkin and sunflower seeds mixed
1 tbsp of olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas mark 6
2. Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl
3. Squeeze the liquid out of the courgettes and carrots and add the mix to the dry ingredients
4. Stir the mixture and in the middle create a well and a stir in the plant milk, olive oil and seeds
5. Dust the baking tray with flour
6. Place the mixture onto the baking tray and create an oval shape about 30cm in diameter
7. Score the top of the dough with a knife and sprinkle , wholemeal flour, salt, pepper, thyme and seeds over the top.
8. Bake in the oven for approximately 30 minutes and then remove and place on a wire rack to cool.
9. Enjoy with black olive tapenade, manchego cheese, soup or whatever you fancy.