My holiday memories are always connected to food so when trying to figure out what to produce from a dried bag of chickpeas I’d found at the back of our cupboard yesterday, my mind wishfully drifted off to Israel and from there it arrived at felafel.
Made from chickpeas or fava beans, felafel are a great source of plant protein and they can be pimped up with salad, pickles, tzatziki, hummus and pitta bread to make for a tantalising ‘picky bits’ themed dinner which is what we tucked into last night .
I’ve included anti-inflammatory turmeric, vitamin C rich parsley and detoxifying coriander into the recipe which is already rich in magnesium, iron, B6, fibre and protein to bring the nutrient level up a notch or two.
For the felafel recipe see the link in my bio. I tripled up on the recipe so I could freeze enough for another couple of meals.
1 tbsp virgin olive oil
1 large onion chopped
400g chickpeas (soaked for 24 hours if dried) rinsed and drained
4 garlic cloves
3 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
30g coriander roughly chopped
30g parsley roughly chopped
40g/1½oz chickpea or plain flour
½ squeezed lemon
1 tsp honey
1 tsp turmeric
1 stock cube (I use Kallo organic french onion)
Season with salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 210c and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onions and cook for about 10 minutes until softened and set aside.
3. Add the onions, lemon, chickpeas, garlic, spices, salt and pepper, chopped herbs and flour into a food processor.
4. Pulse the mixture until it is fairly smooth, and you are able to form balls that hold together.
5. Divide the mixture into 15 small balls. Place on the baking tray and bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until golden-brown.
6. Serve with pitta bread, humuus, tzatziki, salad and pickles
7. Tuck in
#felafel #pickybits #plantprotein #plantdiversity #microbiome #gutmicrobiome #microbiomehealth #batchcooking #planningahead #glutenfree #nutrientdense #vegeterian #vegan # #streetfood #buffet #israelifood #nutritionaltherapist #nutritionist #colchester